Monday, October 13, 2008

Bistro Burger


Ah, the Corner Bistro. I've been eating here since I was a wee lad, and they've had their ups and downs. When I was just a young producer at Fox News Channel, we used to come here after getting out of work at midnight or so, to grab a Bistro Burger and six or eight McSorleys on draught. Back in the day, you could smoke there, and we'd do that too while we'd while away the hours until late at night drinking beer and eating massive amounts of cow, topped with cheese and pig. I was also 23, so consistent caloric assaults such as those wouldn't cause permanent damage.

It's been awhile since I've dined there, as it's gotten ridiculously crowded as word of the Bistro has spread, and I don't have as many late-night burgers and beers as I used to.

Anyway, I was offered the chance to meet some friends-of-friends there for dinner, so I jumped at the chance.

Yeah, the line was looooong, and you're always getting jostled, but if you're with people (n.b. I hate waiting for someone on line, and then your companion shows late, leaving you to bear the brunt of the wait time... grrr...), it's not so bad. A few McSorley's Darks later, it was vaguely enjoyable.


I got my regular: Bistro Burger (featuring cheese and bacon), rare, everything on it, and fries. Yum. I looked forward to a reunion with a cherished, lately absent old friend. Soon after we sat down, our orders were taken, and the waiting game began.

Unfortunately, I don't feel like it's was good as it used to be... the meat doesn't taste as high-quality, and they only appear to be able to prepare them mooing or well-done. Fortunately, I like my meat to be just introduced to the flame ("how do you do, Mr. Fire?"), and received it that way -- I'm not fun to be around when I've received a well-done burger. Overall, though, it was still a decent hamburger experience. Fries were still really good though.

1 comment:

  1. Don't know if you saw it, but there was a recent "How I met your Mother" episode where they were hating on The Corner Bistro, in search of the best burger in NYC. Regis even got in on the action - Very funny show.

    - Steve V.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a little flava'!