Thursday, March 5, 2009

New Year's in New Hampshire


Yeah, I know it's March -- I'm a little behind on my posting, but I have a (sorta) life, you know?

(names have been changed to protect the not-so-innocent)

Anyway, me and Sweetie went up North for my quasi-annual trip to see my BFF and his wife (Smokey the Bear and Doc Fiddle) for New Year's festivities. It was Sweetie's first time -- I think it's my fourth.

Anyway, [Here come the acronyms and alliteration - please follow along crisply] we loaded up a rented SUV with NYC goodies (bagels, booze, brownies), G (another one of my BFFs from HS Dalton) and his BF, Broadway, his doggie Lucas, and Cannonball Run-ned it up to Lyme, NH.


Up there, we were joined with another nice couple from Canadia, pharmacists both (no, that's not a euphemism -- this is a family blog, you know) whom I had met the year previously. One of the great things about going up to Lyme (which is on the border of Vermont, literally across the river) for EOY celebration is that it's faaaar away from NYC, and the ridiculousness of overcharging, overpromising, overcrowded, underdelivering organized festivities. In lieu of this, we traditionally partake in our own bacchanalian food and booze fest, get to do some sledding, cuddle with close friends, celebrate in our slippers, and sleep really, really well (it's cold and quiet).

Anyway, seeing as Smokey and Fiddle are one year married and have a great kitch stocked with fun toys from their registry and access to great food (being up in the New Englandy area), I knew we were in for a treat. Social Cooking was definitely on the agenda, and that's one of my favorite things to do. I do love when you can get a really great group of folks in a big ol' kitch to chef-up in concert -- guess I'm filling a need for team sports that I didn't have in my youth. We're all foodies, and all know that I'm somewhat obsessed myself. These are some of the folks that accompanied me years ago to the Cabot Co-Op Creamery, where I geeked out with the dairy farmers/owners and got my pic posted up on the Reception area wall. But I digress -- back to the food.

A selection of what we had:
Homemade linguini
Lamb stew (peas went in there)
Fresh bread

More later... There was a lot of food over the five days...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a little flava'!